Areas of FocusBig Brothers Big Sisters of South Texas has several areas of focus in meeting the needs of the children in our community. Through the work of our Councils, we are working to strengthen our military connection, serve at-risk minority children and break the cycles of poverty and incarceration.
The Reach Council is a group of mission focused individuals engaged around helping us reach out to specific communities in order to meet agency grants. Meetings are scheduled every first Thursday of the month from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm here at our office. Cold beverages and light snacks will be served at every meeting.
Areas of focus are:
- Advocacy - advocate for Big Brothers Big Sisters at a city or state level for government funding
- African American Mentoring Initiative Advisory Council (AAMIAC) The African American Mentorship Initiative seeks to help BBBS of South Texas create meaningful and enduring mentorship relationships with children in our community. AAMIAC will establish partnerships in the community, recruit volunteers and help with fundraising activities. Learn more >
- Faith in Our Futures - partner with the Faith-based community to recruit more volunteers
- Hispanic Mentoring Initiative Council (HMI) - recruit Hispanic volunteers, especially men
- Military Advisory Council - This council is currently looking for new members interested in helping us further our reach to the military community of San Antonio. If you are currently serving or have served in the military, we would love to hear your thoughts to help recruit children and volunteers. Learn more >
- LGBTQ - To recruit Bigs and Littles from the LGBTQ community
- Juvenile Justice Advisory Council –To support the Bigs and their Littles (who have had a previous run in with the Juvenile Justice system) and to create opportunities to fulfill grant requirements.
- Parent Advocacy Council - composed of parents and caregivers of Little Brothers and Little Sisters, both matched and unmatched in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program
For more information on any of these committees, email Christina at email@example.com